Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fishing on the beach

My shark from the story down below. I think it was about 2 feet from me in this picture.
Clayton catches a needle fish.
The best picture I've ever taken of him!
Look at me! I'm flyfishin'.

What a cutie husand I have!

So, most of Long Island and the surrounding areas are all flats. So, when the tide is out near where we stayed you'd have to walk close to 1/2 mile to find water that is waist to neck high. Mostly, it was about knee high. Clayton and I both worked on conquering our fear of sharks. We saw many in any given day. Probably mostly nurse sharks and most of them were 1-3feet long. They never tended to get much closer than 10 feet from you. However, once Clayton caught his needle fish, which had some sharp teeth, he realized he didn't have his pliers to take the hook out. So, I held kept the fish on the line in the water while he ran back to the room. While he was on his way, I saw a big wake heading towards me and then swich away. I got a bit nervous as I realized I was in the water with sharks and had a fish with me. I didn't want to reel it in and have them get closer to me, but I also didn't want them to take the fish or the line. (Clayton didn't have any more, I thought.) But, as I was trying to figure out what to do a 3 feet shark came and chomped down on the fish and I let it take the line out a ways. He didnt' break the line, and I yelled to Clayt to hurry because we now had a shark on the line! I decided to back u pto the beach and figured it'd be easier to deal with the shark on land than in the water. About 30 seconds before Clayton returned, the shark broke the line and was gone. It makes for an exciting story and I was proud of myself. Clayt wished he could have seen the shark. When looking through my pics later I realized I had taken a picture of it. When we were talking to some of the other people at Chez Pierre that night I boasted that Clayton caught a needle fish, but I caught a shark!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home